Homestyle Shanghainese havens like Chun are an endangered species in a city where the standard for Shanghai restaurants has become bloated palaces serving personality-less fare. Chun is all about personality. You see it in the four homey tables and the maitre-d Lan-Lan who’s equal parts nurturing grandmother and drill sarge: simultaneously pampering you and shooing you out the door because other guests are coming. It’s an attitude that tells you the food’s going to be great. There are too many tasty dishes to choose from, but we like the braised pomfret (红烧鲳鱼, hóngshāo chāng yú).
Latest China News
- China Tech Digest: WM Motor Recalls Vehicle After Burning, Byton Restarts Operation After Rebranding
- CAR-T Biotech Firm Gracell Completes $100 Million Round
- Chinese Self-Driving Tech Startup MINIEYE Raises RMB270 Million
- Adidas Greater China Managing Director Resigned
- DealShot: 9 Deals Passing $160 Million Counting Wellington Management, Baidu Ventures And More