Employment law and immigration law are often overlapping but must be dealt with separately…

2555 continuous (or cumulative) days in Hong Kong for the right of abode? Surely not?


I am in a fix with a difficult-to-deal-with local company.

My 2 year contract with them expires this October 20. My work visa expires on the same day.

Is my employer legally required to serve a one month notice?

If the HR Department mention nothing to me, is my last day at work October 20, and am I required to leave the country? I am Canadian.

Is my employer required to contact the Immigration Department and notify them of my employment ending? At what date?

If I leave Hong Kong on the 20th of October to Macau for the night and return on the 21st, can I come in on a 3 month visitor visa so I can pack up the house?

Or is it better to go to the Immigration Department on the 18th/19th and apply for an extension to pack up my things and leave Hong Kong?

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

How can my FDH visa holding fiance transition into a dependant visa with 6-12 months to run before we get married?

Why do some Hong Kong visa applications take months to finalise (if ever?)

The economy at home is very bad – what investment visa options exist for you in Hong Kong?

Is the Travel Pass as good as a Hong Kong employment visa?

The reality for same sex partner visa applicants in Hong Kong


Visit the original source and full text: Hong Kong Visa Geeza