What might ImmD make of such a foreign national seeking to come to visit Hong Kong again?


My friend holds a British passport and has family in Hong Kong. He has been many times before as a visitor but 5 years ago was convicted of a sexual offence in the UK and served 18 months in prison. He is now on the UK’s sex offender’s register and must register his movements with the police. He wishes to make a short trip to visit Hong Kong, the first since his release. The UK police are content for him to travel and consider him low risk. He has not offended since leaving prison.

It is clear to me that Hong Kong could refuse him entry, but it is not clear to me what he should do. Should he apply for a visa in London first? Should he just go – and is there a positive obligation on him to disclose is offences? Or does he only need to disclose his record if asked by an officer?

When I came to visit Hong Kong previously I do not remember having to declare that I was free from convictions on any landing card.

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

Is there such an animal as a ‘flexible working visa’ for Hong Kong?

How to get a Hong Kong employment visa automatically with no questions asked!

The long stay visitor’s awkward predicament

How a Hong Kong employment visa application can go completely wrong if you don’t know what you’re doing!

Getting a working visa for Hong Kong is just a matter of filling in the forms, right?

Visit the original source and full text: Hong Kong Visa Geeza