This question comes up quite often so I’m grateful to this questioner for asking it. The answer is straight forward enough, but in my PodCast below, I set out why the reason it is as it is – and why trying to start your Right of Abode application earlier is essentially an exercise in futulity!


“Hi there – just a quick question.

I know that you need to have lived in Hong Kong for a full 7 years before you can become a PR but actually, when does the 7 years officially begin? The reason I ask is that I lived in Hong Kong for 11 months as a visitor before my first employment visa was granted to me but in all of that time I was properly living here, renting a flat, bank account, my own bills etc. so I just need to know when it makes sense for me to apply for my PR.

Thanks for your help and excellent website!”

More Stuff You May Find Useful or Interesting

10 must have resources for a successful Hong Kong permanent residency application

Employment ended – what immigration options do you have to stay in Hong Kong for another 2 years to get your permanent residency?

I have lived in Hong Kong for 5 years – can I extend my work visa for 2 years, quit my job, study full time then apply for the right of abode?

Hong Kong right of abode application – consider your strategy and plan early

Will a break in continuous employment mean a break in continuous residence for the purposes of a Hong Kong permanent residency application?


Visit the original source and full text: Hong Kong Visa Geeza